Urgent Clownfish Attacking The Other Clownfish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Hawaii777, Jul 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hawaii777

Hawaii777 Astrea Snail

I have 2 clowns in my tank, one is a smaller one most likely the male and the bigger one most likely the female. It appears like there mating but then after a while it now looks like she is killing the other clownfish because the skin is pealing. How do I stop the fighting?

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Sounds like she isn't terribly happy with the match. If the larger clown is actually doing physical damage I would seperate them for a day or two and try to rearrage rockwork before you reintroduce the smaller clown. Keep a close eye and if she keeps doing actual damage I would think about rehoming one of the two.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

If you are going to separate them, I would leave the smaller one in the DT and put the larger one in timeout. :)

5. Moxtrain

Good point. If i'd thought it through more completely I would have suggested the same.

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

IMO the two clowns should end up being fine together once the jostling for position comes to an end. They may be sexing themselves which is a natural occurrence. The larger to end up female and the smaller to end up male. I think you are fine here, some say turn the lights off but lights off is not going to stop this bickering. Just let nature take it's course. Not owning clownfish but from what I've researched..

7. Moxtrain

Some bickering is normal. Fighting until real damage is done is not that normal IMO. It shouldn't get so extreme that the larger clown is peeling back skin.

8. Click Here!

9. Hawaii777

Hawaii777 Astrea Snail

Thanks to everyone for the help, these are my favorite fish! I love em' and i seperated them for about an hour and then put the big back in and now they get along again. However the small clown is still trying to mate because its rubbing up against the big one and the big one doesnt like it. hahaha