Batik Starfish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ohara332, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ohara332

ohara332 Plankton

I purchsed a starfish months ago because I liked the way it looked (LFS had it listed as a "Rose Starfish"). I only had a little knowledge of starfish and was aware that some were reef safe and others were not. Since I only had fish I purchased it and planned to do some research when I got home. I found nothing about a rose starfish so I stopped looking. (I am starting to think the LFS just made the name up.) Well after a couple of months I felt my tank was ready for an anemone so I purchased a RBTA. I wathced the starfish closely after adding the nem and he still remained stuck to the glass eating algae. So I figured I was in luck and the star fish was reef safe. They have been together for a couple months with no problems. That is until the otherday when I added a second white BTA. When I placed the new BTA into the tank it happened to drift right by the starfish. The starfish instantly started moving it's legs over the BTA. I panicked and moved the starfish before I could determine if it was just checking it out or if it was about to enjoy a $45 meal. Then just today the star was doing the same thing with the RBTA when he never bothered it before. So I was looking again today on the net and found a picture of a Batik Starfish. Below is the picture I found. The site didn't have anything other than generic starfish info for all starfish. My starfish looks exactly like the ones in the picutre, except mine is a bright red and tan not black and tan. The patterns are exactly alike though. Can anyone tell more about these and if it is ok to keep in my tank or would I be better off putting the star in my sump? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Are you sure it's not a chocolate chip starfish?

4. ohara332

ohara332 Plankton

No, I am positive that it's not a CC starfish. I am familiar with those and would never have purchased one because of the troubles I have heard about. It looks just like the picture I pasted except where there is black mine is bright red. Patterns and markings and exactly alike.

5. ohara332

ohara332 Plankton

Batik Starfish???

I purchsed a starfish months ago because I liked the way it looked (LFS had it listed as a "Rose Starfish"). I only had a little knowledge of starfish and was aware that some were reef safe and others were not. Since I only had fish I purchased it and planned to do some research when I got home. I found nothing about a rose starfish so I stopped looking. (I am starting to think the LFS just made the name up.) Well after a couple of months I felt my tank was ready for an anemone so I purchased a RBTA. I wathced the starfish closely after adding the nem and he still remained stuck to the glass eating algae. So I figured I was in luck and the star fish was reef safe. They have been together for a couple months with no problems. That is until the otherday when I added a second white BTA. When I placed the new BTA into the tank it happened to drift right by the starfish. The starfish instantly started moving it's legs over the BTA. I panicked and moved the starfish before I could determine if it was just checking it out or if it was about to enjoy a $45 meal. Then just today the star was doing the same thing with the RBTA when he never bothered it before. So I was looking again today on the net and found a picture of a Batik Starfish. Below is the picture I found. The site didn't have anything other than generic starfish info for all starfish. My starfish looks exactly like the ones in the picutre, except mine is a bright red and tan not black and tan. The patterns are exactly alike though. Can anyone tell more about these and if it is ok to keep in my tank or would I be better off putting the star in my sump? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Ohara - please see my reponce for this enquiry on the thread you started in ID this

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Threads have been merged.

10. ohara332

ohara332 Plankton

ok, so here is a picture of mine. Sorry for the quality but my camera does not work so I had to use my camera phone.

Attached Files:

• star.jpg
      star.jpg
      File size:
      102.3 KB
      Views:
  11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

your right! It does look like the one above only red. I do notice little knobbly bits. Normmaly when a fish has them its not reef safe. I would take it back to the lfs personally!

12. ohara332

ohara332 Plankton

I will just place him in the sump along with the crab I found on some live rock. I have had him for like 3 months, so I don't have the heart to just take him back.