Anemone HELP!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Chrisnj79, Aug 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chrisnj79

Chrisnj79 Plankton

Hi, I have just recently bought an anemone and it has been in my tank for 4 days and the first 2 days it was doing just fine. I have two clown fish and they were hosting in it just fine. On the 3rd day the anemone kept closing up and the clown fish were like pushing their way into the anemone. Now the anemone has been closed up all day and has white stringy stuff coming off of it and has like squiggly lines on it as well. Can someone please help me out and inform me on what is going on with it. I have had an anemone die in one of my other tanks and it messed up the water bad killing some of my coral.
    I want to know if i should take it out so the same thing doesn't happen again or should i wait it out and see how it does. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.
    Chris:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

what type of lights do you have?

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

what are your parameters? also anemones need time to adjust to a new tank, the clownfish can stress them out if they rubbing them while there trying to adjust

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

lol thats allways the first question out of my mouth when i here nem troubles, so many people try under such low light :(

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well the anemone is probably stressed by the clowns, they can be aggressive. As for the stringy stuff, sounds like it might be evacuating its bowels... Hard to tell, though my BTAs do go through phases where they look AWEFUL and stringy, then the next day back to their bubble tipped goodness.

7. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

i did on an old tank way underpowered light and that was the sign of death it went down hill in a couple of days after they are tuff to keep in the wrong condtions what are your parms and what type of light

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

need a few things for info
    what kind of lights, what size tank, what kind of anemone, water parameters and age of tank's establishment

10. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

dont worry bout the lights ive grown btas for a decade under every type of ligting conditions
    it is water chemistry
    ph and salinity is where i would start
    call the lfs and ask for their tanks salinity level and see where you are from there

stingy stuff is an odd one
    how bout a pic
    when i have 1 in trouble i shade it completly and try to feed it mysis
    good luck
    if it starts sluffing off pick it up and smell it
    if you start to ralph in your mouth toss it

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Boy, I could be wrong here, but the first thing I thought of was poop. I will feed mine on Sunday and by Wednesday, it is closing up, looking very bad and it has lots of stringy stuff (mostly brown) coming out it's mouth (anus.....whatever). Yeah.....put up a pic and let's see what it looks like.