Aggressive Clown Fish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by tpp1979, Jun 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tpp1979

tpp1979 Plankton

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to a saltwater tank. I have a 14 gallon saltwater tank and my water levels are good - ph is 8.3 and all other testings are in good ranges. My tank has been up and running now for 5 months. In it I have one Clarkii Clown fish and one long tentacled Anemone. My intention has been to add 1 or 2 more clown fish to the tank, and that's it as I do realize my tank is small and I do not want to overcrowd. I will consider a larger tank to move my fish and anemone to as I get more experience.

My Clarkii and Anemone have down well for the past 5 months, so I decided this weekend to add a new Clown fish. I went to two different pet stores and both told me that if I added new Clown fish to add two at the same time to minimize any aggression towards each other.

Well, I've done that and one of the new clown fish is extremely aggressive towards my existing clown fish of 5 months. The new clown fish I believe are Ocellaris. One is orange and white and the other is black and white. The orange one is the aggressor.

The orange one chases my Clarkii around the tank and has head butted him. The black and white gets along well with my Clarkii as well as the new orange one (and they were in separate tanks at the store).

I've read online about clownfish being territorial and aggressive and sometimes towards other clown fish breeds, but usually it is with the existing clownfish bullying the new addition - not the other way around. My existing clown fish has done the "tuna" dance to the aggressive clown fish yet it is still chased and bullied. It has not bitten my existing one, but does seem very aggressive and constantly chases it. They are both about the same size as each other - a little over an inch long.

Has anyone experienced this and will they eventually settle down as one becomes female? I will see if I can return the aggressive one if not, as I do not want my Clarkii to be terrorized and he seems to do well with the new black and white one.

Also, I've been feeding them one time per day, but I've read that some people feed twice per day. Any insight on what is best? I've been feeding a frozen shrimp/agae food as well as flake food. My fish seems to like the flake food best and just nibble on the frozen food particles that defrost. Is that common too? I've read that they prefer frozen food, but mine seems to like flake food best. any recommendations on food?

I appreciate any insight, advise and help. Thanks very much.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I think what the guy who sold them to you meant was if you are going to add two to your tank add them at the same time. Clowns do not usually like new clowns showing up specially in a tank that small. Its doubtfull they will settle in cause there just isnt enough room for them to have there own territory. My clarkii chases my other clown around my 40 gallon and has been for a few months now. If either one goes near the others territory there is always a problem.

4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

You should rinse and thaw your frozen foods befour adding to your tank

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

First you can not mix clownfish species in your size tank at all. You will only have problems. Always let the frozen food defrost in a cup and even rinse it with rodi or tank water after is is defrosted to help lower the phosphates of the food.

6. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

From my understanding you should never have two different species of clowns together at all. They will fight to the death eventually. when your Lfs said you should add 2 at a time he should have been more specific and said 2 of the same species. Like 2 black and white or 2 occelaris. In your case you should have added 1 clarki a little smaller then the one you already have. I myself had 1 percula that was in my tank for 5 years by itself, I did add another a little smaller then it and they get along great. having 3 of the same species don't work either because when 2 of them pair up they will kill the 3rd. You are sitting on 3 different types of clowns, not good.

7. tpp1979

tpp1979 Plankton

I returned the orange and white clownfish and my clarkii is now very happy. He zips around the tank, and he gets along well with my black and white clown fish, even though they are a different variety.

My black and white clown fish isn't as active as he was when the orange and white fish was in the tank however. He mostly hides near some of my live rock and comes out to eat, but his appetite isn't as good as the clarkii's. He looks healthy, but has become pretty shy. Is that normal? He and my clarkii sleep next to each other at night, but he really doesn't leave his hiding spot during the day.

Also, both clown's don't pay much attention to my anemone. My clarkii goes over to it and explores it, but won't actually go through its tentacles. Is that normal? The anemone is healthy otherwise, but I wish the clown's liked him more. Should I consider getting a bubble tip anemone? Also, don't know if this is a silly question, but do anemone's get along with other anemones? I wouldn't want two anemones to become enemies.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009