Adding live sand to a new tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by pufferlove, Jun 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pufferlove

pufferlove Plankton

I have someone helping me set up my new tank right now and i plan to mix my salt in the water inside the aquarium. I also purchased live sand and i need to know if i can put the live sand in the tank before adding the water and salt. I was afraid that putting the freshwater in the tank would kill the live sand before adding the salt. Will it? Or should i add and mix the water and salt first and then add the sand?

2. Click Here!

3. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

the fresh water will kill everything alive in the sand including the bacteria. you should mix the water for 24 hrs before adding anything.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Mix the salt in the aquarium, run your pumps overnight and add the sand in the morning. Just cut the top off of the bag, lower the bag to the bottom of the tank and slowly empty out this will keep the cloud down.

5. pufferlove

pufferlove Plankton

Thanks so much everyone! You saved me quite a bit of money!

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I was thinking of the same thing. I figured i should add the sand after the water. But so I can mix the water & salt in the the tank with powerheads? It would just be a giant, one time version of mixing water for a water change.