need help with hair algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by skiergd011013, Nov 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

im in the process of cycling my 55 gallon reef. i have 2 pieces of liverock from lfs around the area. i noticed one of them had very little brown hair algae on it when i bought it(i should of left it at the store but i diddnt know better) after i added this rock to my tank it quickly become COVERED in the brown hair algae, and it spread to my other rock. i have since taken both of these rocks out and put them in a rubbermaid container with circulating saltwater. i have an additional 50 lbs of dryrock due anyday in the mail and im nervous to put this into my tank fearing they will all become covered in hair algae even after i removed the old rocks. there is still fragments of the hair algae laying on my sand, but they dont appear to be very healthy. i leave my lights off hoping o starve the algae of light. should i just give it a few weeks before i add my dry rock to let any remaining algae die off in my tank? am i over worrying about algae is this completly normal? on thereeftank someone told me hair algae is a huge problem and i will get overwhelmed by it.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Hair algae can become a nightmare, but there are ways to fight it. What I would do is siphon out as much of the residual hair algae left in the tank. I would bleach the rock that have the algae on them. Then soak them some baking soda and RO mixture, rinse them off well and let them dry. When you get your dry rock shipment, add that to the tank and cycle the tank with that rock. You can also add the bleached rock too. Then just let the cycle take its course and you should be good to go. Keep your lights out as there is no need to run them.

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

also this is the start of a new tank u can expect algae blooms not much u can do. it will settle and go away with time and good husbandry

5. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

My lanwmower blenny keeps the tank Spotless.