Hair Algae (i think) Help Plz

Discussion in 'Algae' started by flynhawaiianz28, May 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Alright so I have a slight problem of hair algae being on the walls on my tank. At least i think it is hair algae...eben tho it isnt that long. I'll see if i can attach a pic even tho it isnt that great. Any ideas what kind of fish would be good w/ hair algae? The only thing that comes to mind is a algae eating blenny but idk if that will do the trick and i'm not sure about snails cause my blue spot puffer seems to have his way w/ those :-[. So idk if a fish would be better or a specific kind of snail if my puffer wouldnt pick on it. Any other ideas cause i'm kinda stumped on what to do:confused:

Here's the pic even tho it isnt the greatest but the algae is short and is brownish/green and covers all of the side walls and back wall cause I try to clean the front wall.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

any takers up for the challenge cause I wouldnt mind being able to see through my side walls again w/o having to clean them lol

4. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

If it's hair algae, a sea hare may work. I watched a sea hare eat the HA at LFS then put it to work in my HA infested tank. Worked great very quickly. When HA was gone, it wouldn't eat Nori or anything else so I needed to pass him on to someone else or he'd starve. That's my thought, I'm sure other folks will help a bunch more! Good luck!

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

along with a good clean up crew finding the source of whats feeding the algae is a must, lower Si:NH3,4:pO4