hair algae continued

Discussion in 'Algae' started by nemo79, Aug 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Ok, I have no idea what the problem is but this hair algae won't stop. I use carbon, phosguard, do regular water changes, feed minimal, my bulbs have only been running since february. What the P*@k! I have no idea what else to do. I plucked quite a bit out tonight with my needlenose pliers and finally my scarlet cleaned a good amount after that. The largest part is growing on the tuffa rock, which I actually dug into to remove some of the hair algae. I also make sure that none of the algae flies away to spread. I am doing everything I know to do. Dang, they need to come up with something you can drop on this evil stuff and it melts away. Any science geeks out there - u need to find something that wipes the nutrients out of the algae..which it thrives on. I would do it but lord knows I stink at science. Thanks for listening to me vent, I know u all understand.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Forgive me if you've already answered this question in previous threads but are you testing your top off/water change water for phosphates and nitrates and such?

4. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I did previously and no, the ro/di water I get is from a really good water depot here and they test the water regularly. Never had a problem with their water.

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Make a fuge :)

6. rlcline76

rlcline76 Astrea Snail

Nemo, I would doublecheck that RO/DI water, just to rule it out. I have heard too many nightmare stories from those who bought their RO/DI water.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Vent away, sounds like a big pain in the butt.

See: Curing Green Hair Algae in your Saltwater Aquarium

Basically, starve it.

"...If you have Green Hair Algae in your tank, your phosphates should read well above .05 mg/L., which is considered by many to be the lowest level at which Green Hair Algae will grow. The most common source of phosphates in an aquarium is from the FW used for top offs and water changes. In this case, doing water changes to reduce phosphates will only continue the problem unless the water source is changed. There are two basic methods of reducing phosphates in your tank.

Use only RO or RO/DI water whether you purchase an RO/DI unit or purchase RO/DI water from a commercial source. (Recommended)
    Purchase and use a good "nitrate sponge". Many of the nitrate absorbing materials also absorb phosphates.
    Use Mangrove Plants in your system to reduce phosphates.
    Nitrates will always be something to contend with in your tank. For fast, immediate reduction, you can do a water change, using the Instant Nitrate Reduction Method. This will reduce your nitrates at the fastest rate, using the least amount of time and water. This will also get your nitrates down to a workable (10 mg/L area) level but it is only a Bandaid and does nothing to remove the source of the nitrates. Siphon out as much of the Green Hair Algae as possible. You will probably find that you will have to use several other methods (many of which are part of a good Aquarium Maintenance Routine) to keep your nitrates in check.

Use only RO or RO/DI water whether you purchase an RO/DI unit or purchase RO/DI water from a commercial source. (Recommended)
    Purchase and use Mangrove Plants in your tank or sump. (Recommended)
    Check to see if your commercial sea salts contain high levels of ammonia/nitrogen.
    Purchase and use a good "nitrate sponge".
    Do not overfeed your tank.
    Siphon uneaten food and other loose material (detritus) from the substrate.
    Perform periodic water changes.
    By reducing the nitrate and phosphate levels in your tank, you will soon be healthy and free of the Green Hair Algae. Many of your tank occupants (corals and other invertebrates) will also benefit from the reduced levels..."