Hair algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Jakerupe, Mar 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

So I'm still rebounding from the antibacterial soap incident and with a pregnant wife I haven't been around much.

Last post I made I mentioned that I had some type of red algae growing which I'm pretty sure isn't cyano. Only seems to grow where there is a lot of water movement and light. Thought that is was gone because the hair algae has taken over. I think the soap wiped out the biological and the last year has just been a new cycle. Soooo the hair alge is getting under control and I notice that this red algae is still there, the hair algae has just grown on top of it.

This stuff is thick in a few places and I can actually peel it of the rocks. I fouund one place that on top of the hair algae there was some cyano starting to grow.

Can cyano get thick enough to feel like an orange peel? This stuff wont "rub" of it has to be peeled. I'd post a pick but with the low res it looks like red cyano. Also this red algae isn't bothered by flow or oxygen!!!??

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

is the algae hard like crust or slimy when you touch it?
    also what is the soap incident if you don't mind me asking?

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

is the color bright red. you might have to see if it forms any types of leaves. But you are right I have never seen cyano like an orange peal

5. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

A little over a year ago I woke and found my 3 year old squirting antibacterial soap into my tank. She couldn't reach it really well so I didn't think that she got much in. Pretty sure now she got most of it in.

6. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

No leaves. It feels like a piece of felt when I peel it off. Not bright red more of a maroon.

7. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Another question for you vets against algae out there....

I took about 30 pounds of the worst rock in my tank, bleached, power washed and soaked in RO water. Anything else I should do before putting it back in the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

Wow I remeber this post. i just started my tank then . After reading I sat my kids down and told them if they ever put anything in my tank I;m gonna put them in there. Lol

10. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

LOL should have tried that!!

Anyone got advice on how to handle bleached rock?

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

From what you are describing it sounds more like a fungus or a sponge type. The sponge may or may not be good. If a fungus..........can you get a pic? Since you don't know what it is, I personally would not get it on/in my skin.

12. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Pics just look like cyno...I'll try again but I got to touch it. It is an algae (I'm pretty sure) :)