ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Skunk Shrimp

Skin: Mint
Jakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of light

gallery
Default Hair algae

So I'm still rebounding from the antibacterial soap incident and with a pregnant wife I haven't been around much.

Last post I made I mentioned that I had some type of red algae growing which I'm pretty sure isn't cyano. Only seems to grow where there is a lot of water movement and light. Thought that is was gone because the hair algae has taken over. I think the soap wiped out the biological and the last year has just been a new cycle. Soooo the hair alge is getting under control and I notice that this red algae is still there, the hair algae has just grown on top of it.

This stuff is thick in a few places and I can actually peel it of the rocks. I fouund one place that on top of the hair algae there was some cyano starting to grow.

Can cyano get thick enough to feel like an orange peel? This stuff wont "rub" of it has to be peeled. I'd post a pick but with the low res it looks like red cyano. Also this red algae isn't bothered by flow or oxygen!!!??
Jakerupe is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Fire Goby

Skin: Classic
RHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond reputeRHorton has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

is the algae hard like crust or slimy when you touch it?
also what is the soap incident if you don't mind me asking?
RHorton is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Fire Goby

Skin: Dark
10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute10acrewoods has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

is the color bright red. you might have to see if it forms any types of leaves. But you are right I have never seen cyano like an orange peal
10acrewoods is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Skunk Shrimp

Jakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of lightJakerupe is a glorious beacon of light

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHorton View Post
is the algae hard like crust or slimy when you touch it?
also what is the soap incident if you don't mind me asking?
A little over a year ago I woke and found my 3 year old squirting antibacterial soap into my tank. She couldn't reach it really well so I didn't think that she got much in. Pretty sure now she got most of it in.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acrewoods View Post
is the color bright red. you might have to see if it forms any types of leaves. But you are right I have never seen cyano like an orange peal
No leaves. It feels like a piece of felt when I peel it off. Not bright red more of a maroon.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

Another question for you vets against algae out there....

I took about 30 pounds of the worst rock in my tank, bleached, power washed and soaked in RO water. Anything else I should do before putting it back in the tank?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Astrea Snail

Bigjoeybx is on a distinguished road

gallery

Wow I remeber this post. i just started my tank then . After reading I sat my kids down and told them if they ever put anything in my tank I;m gonna put them in there. Lol
Bigjoeybx is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoeybx View Post
Wow I remeber this post. i just started my tank then . After reading I sat my kids down and told them if they ever put anything in my tank I;m gonna put them in there. Lol
LOL should have tried that!!

Anyone got advice on how to handle bleached rock?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Whip-Lash Squid

Skin: Classic
unclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond reputeunclejed has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

From what you are describing it sounds more like a fungus or a sponge type. The sponge may or may not be good. If a fungus..........can you get a pic? Since you don't know what it is, I personally would not get it on/in my skin.
unclejed is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

Pics just look like cyno...I'll try again but I got to touch it. It is an algae (I'm pretty sure)

Click Here!

Tags
algae problem