Does the dark kill cyano?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kcbrad, Nov 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hey All,

So I've been dealing with cyano bacteria for about a month now. I added flow, cut back on feeding, did weekly water changes - nothing helped! But I think I may have found the secret!! I'm having my kitchen remodeled and the past couple days I haven't been turning on my tank light until about 4-5pm because the tank is near the kitchen and I wanna stay out of the worker's way. Anyway, yesterday was the first day I turned on the lights so late in the day and I noticed the cyano was about half as bad. Hmmm..interesting. Well I just turned on the lights today and the cyano is practically gone!

Could reducing the lights for just a couple days really be what killed off the cyano, or did my other methods just finally take hold? If it is the lights, I can definitely cut back the hours they are on! I'm so excited! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Cutting back on lights will never get rid of cyano IME.

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I can't answer your question,but i'm noticing the same as you,alot less and lighter than towards the end of my light cycle(when it looks the worst)I've done everything you have so far and added phos remover to my filter this past weekend,hoping it will help

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

that will just cut it back. better skimming and better water quality should do it. RODI?

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I do us RO water, but when I inititally set-up the tank I used tap. I tested the phosphates a couple weeks ago, but they were low, so I don't know if phosphates are the problem. Oh, I also added SeaChem Purigen filter media about a week ago, so maybe that has helped. I'm going to test my nitrates tonight and see if they are lower.

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

another great way to stop that is to set up a refugium or coiled denitrator to consume your nitrates.

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

pods eat the cyano at nite thats why it seems to be less when the lights come on

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Normally in the morning mine is no less. And sometimes the cyano looks worse in the morning! But these past two days the tank has been in darkness for about...17 hours straight each day and the cyano is basically gone. Well...who knows! Hopefully this is the end of cyano for me!

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I don't think I agree with this statement.
    Cyano is a photo-sensitive life form (debated algea and/or bacteria), which is why it flourishes more when the lights have been on. You won't leave the lights off forever, and as soon as you turn them back on the cyano will seem to come back stronger... as long your tank is still rich in nutrients. The extra flow should help, so try moving around those new powerheads.

It's the plants in the refugium that consume the nutrients, not the pods.

1 person likes this.
  12. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

then does that mean my pod population is up?Mines cyano is clearing up a little better also now,but wish it was just gone!!