Coralline Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Share-Reef, Jun 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

What does it take to grow an abundance of coralline algae? Or what is the best way to make it grow?

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I have never added anything to my tank to get coraline growth.. Mine always come with time. Usually after about 3 months or so.... and a ton of light...

4. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

they need magnesium, calcium, and your alkilinity has to be right, and a blue specturm of light.oh I almost forgot the most important part, TIME, dont get in a big hurry, you'll regret it!!!!!!!!

5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

If i could give you mine I would, I hate the stuff- next to impossible to scrape off the glass.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I feel exactly the same. Every body wants the stuff and buys chemicals to get it and it will just come with time and the right water parameters.

7. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

+1 on time, I have to agree! my tank it's been up and running now for like 3 mo. or better and I am starting to grow some inside my overflow box, really hate to see it grow in my front glass and the sides. you first need to have the spores in your tank! by means there has to be some coralline already in your LR etc. purple up is only to speed the grow, but like i stated before you need to have it already. btw purple up it's almost pure calcium so before you try it check to make sure your CA is low or below normal..I wouldn't advise dosing
    >))))*>

8. Click Here!

9. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

Yes, I guess time will tell.....I have tried to steer clear of Purple Up reference the Iodine in it. I have seen these little white round circles everywhere. I have been wondering if they were the start of coralline algae but you can "pop" them. I am not sure what they are, does anyone know?

10. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

they are some type of coralline white, there is also red, green, and different shades of pinkish and purple

11. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

As others have stated, give it some time and the coralline will come. I too couldn't wait to see a few specks appear, now it is a right pain, it grows so quickly that it is a constant battle to keep it off the glass. I have to do some serious razor blade action on the front of the glass every week....gggrrrrrr!

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Might be snail eggs that you're popping. Can you post a picture of these circles?