BlackJack's DIY Chiller

Discussion in '3reef Video Contest #2!' started by BlackJack, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Flamingo Tongue

well, it's dark, and not that spectacular of camera work, but you'll get the idea, and best of all, it was CHEAP !! :D

Good luck everyone!!

YouTube Video ID:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hey if you ever needed to make that cooler do a better job just replace that water in to bucket holding the coil with antifreeze doubles the heat transfer to the cooler and you can also replace that Dorm Box thermostat with a Honeywell 6006a aquastat for 30.00 or so and get it down to mid 30's inside the box rather then 55 F or so. Ran one for a long time on a 180 with M/H's in Va where we are blessed with the Heat plus Humidity :) I think the guy is still using the 40.00 dorm Box 10 yrs now.

1 person likes this.
  4. BlackJack

very nice idea. I think I'll try it two different ways and see how it turns out, first antifreeze, then "Water Wetter" since that's what us racers use for better heat transfer than anti-freeze, and see how it works.

sounds like you've developed quite a "bag of tricks" over the years!

5. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Kudos on the chiller.
    I actually did the same thing a few years back with a computer.

Took the inards and installed in the same type fridge for overclocking the CPU. Got an extra 500Mhz from a PIII processor.

Nice job.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Started working HVAC/plumbing and electricial trades all my life plus many yrs of Racing from Late Model sportsman to B atlterteds to APBA F series off shore I used to love going fast..

7. BlackJack

I'm with ya on loving to go fast. I have a rediculous (for what it is) 2003 Olds Alero, FWD 3400 V6 that I pumped to stage 3 top-end and T-70 turbo, trans swapped from a '03 Pontiac GTP.

Unfortunately 2 weekends ago during an internet competition (~$500 prize money for video proof) I popped a piston in the waterbox and didn't know it due to powerbraking up to stage, and ran a 14.5 on 5 cylinders (now out of balance, car unstripped in full street trim w/ spare tire and jack). I should be putting it back together this coming weekend and hit it again.

video (not that impressive):

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i81.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid81.photobucket.com/albums/j202/qaddamage/videos/AleroDrag-11apr08-edited.flv">

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

That stinks.... NICE tank though...

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great video and diy chiller, you get an A for effort. Luna

11. BlackJack

Thanks, both of you :)