Where did you learn how to keep a reef aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 22, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Local Fish Stores.

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. The Internet.

25 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Books.

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Magazines.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. A Friend taught me.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. All of the above

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I remember the days when the local fish store was where I learned how to keep a reef aquarium and there wasn't much else. These days sure are different.

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am all about 3reef and my own experience. 3reef has guided me into this hobby and has pushed me through, thanks guys!!

4. usmc121581

usmc121581 Astrea Snail

I have always wanted to keep one, but being in military stopped me from keeping one. Until last year when I figured I would go with it and since I hve never turned back. I would say it was a guy I was friends with that owned a LFS he showed me all the ropes, and one day I hope a have a very nice successful reef system in my house. Also I will say I have learned alot of other things off this site or different ways to do things.

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Ill say 3Reef has help me alot also!! I was scared away from salt years ago by a fish store that just kept saying how much money it cost and how everything would die if you didnt check the water like a million times a week!!
    Then one day I just did it, lol. And found this site, and dove into corals. LOL, now I have a 100 gallon, and its not a discus tank like what I as gonna do, hehe. This site if full of great people that are going through the same problems, and dont mind sharing info.

6. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    +2 birchell 3reef and my old boss Sam. 3 of the choises were Sam alone. all the others were 3reef;D

7. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

3reef was first, then came books and joining my local MAS. I still learn more almost every day and still consider this an extremely rewarding hobby!

Thanks 3reef!

8. Click Here!

9. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

Reading tons of books and on line articles. I became amazed after scuba diving and seeing all the life in a reef and wanted to duplicate that same enviornment in my living room.

10. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

To say the truth I don't think I have......But I learned a lot here.

11. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

milesm4, i agree, but its absolutely more increidable when you freedive to the reefs(no tanks) and the fish aint scared of you because your not blowing bubbles, and they come to you to see and explore!!! But both hobbys do inspire or push you just a lil more to love the hobby of reefkeeping!

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I think that for me, alot of the basic aquarium stuff came from the LFS. Once I started reefing I got alot of basic info from books and magizines, then finally 3Reef came into my life and I am still learning new stuff!