The Story Behind Jason Isley's Underwater Toy Figure Photos

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Jason Isley is an incredible underwater photographer that had a brilliant idea last fall to keep things interesting - creating surreal scenes by incorporating miniature figures commonly used with toy trains. My jaw dropped when I stumbled on these photos this week. The scale of the figures to the fish and invertebrates is absolutely perfect. I had to reach out to him to learn more. To my surprise, he actually wrote back. Read the fascinating story behind these photos below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HI Matt,

Not sure if this will effect your desire to post them on an aquarium blog BUT they weren't shot in an aquarium, they were shot on reefs in Malaysia and Indonesia whilst on scuba. I had to plan the shots very carefully, knowing the subjects I would encounter and then setting up the scene. Some of the shots took more than one dive, the little girl watering the xmas tree worms took two dive both over an hour long as she kept getting swept away by the current. All the figures on the sand have nails or coins glued underneath so that they stay in position. The damsel attacking the lady with the lawnmower actually swam off with her in his mouth, I had to chase him to get her back as I wasn't sure I had captured the shot.

I now have lots of new miniatures and have sketched lots of new ideas, I want to concentrate on some environmental pics, little guys clearing plastic from the seabed, cutting up fish nets etc, will hopefully have some new additions by end of February.

Cheers,

Jason

Hahah. How great is that?

See all the toy figure photos here:
    U/W Miniature series - a set on Flickr

Beyond these photos, Jason is truly a world class underwater photographer.

Check out this triggerfish shot he tooK in the Maldives:

[​IMG]

What to see more? Check out all of Jason's sets on Flickr here:

Jason Isley's photosets on Flickr

Jason Isley's Bio:
    Scubazoo - Jason Isley's team page

What is also amazing to me is that Jason learned how to scuba in 1995 and by 1996 had co-founded the Scubazoo production company that now has an extensive portfolio and has worked with many big companies such as WWF, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel:

Welcome to Scubazoo

By the way, Scubazoo has a new 268 page coffee table book with DVD on their recent trip to the Maldives for $64.95. Looks intense:

Scubazoo Books: Maldives - The Underwater Kingdom

Check out the trailer:

I cannot wait to see Jason's next series with these toy figures and will be following his work on Flickr. Thanks to Jason for the additional information on these photos.

Cheers!

matt

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is fantastic, what awesome photos he takes, he is quite an artist.

5. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks Matt! That was awesome! Underwater photography is very time consuming and demanding. I can only imagine how long it took to get those shots! I'm lucky enought to be able to dive the Blue Heron Bridge (a sweet "muck" dive in West Palm Beach) anytime I want and I try to get as many "keeper" shots as i can. Alot harder than it is on land!

p.s., "Nemo's Revenge" is the best shot!

6. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

That Trigger fish has some serious chompers!

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

How unique! Totally Awesome

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

The humor is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

10. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Those pics are great. Really like the mantis shrimp one.

11. peddy10181

peddy10181 Astrea Snail

Little weird, BUT I think I like it. Keep them coming :)

12. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

My wife now wants a mantis tank, we both loved the pictures especially the attack of the giant mantis "shrimp".