Reef Octopus Eco 1000 Refugium

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

We all know about Reef Octopus' protein skimmers, but did you know they had a HOB refugium on the market now? The Reef Octopus Eco 1000 Refugium has been sold out at BRS for a while, but 3reef Sponsor Reef Specialty is picking some up this month. This 24" x 4" x 12" is bare bones, but if you are just looking for a HOB fuge box and pump, this might fit the bill for under $200.

[​IMG]
    Reef Octopus Eco 1000 Refugium

Using the power of photosynthesis, the Octopus Eco range of filters remove ammonia, nitrates and phosphates that accumulate in your system, reducing the need for frequent water changes and helping combat nuisance algae in your display tank. Eco also functions as a food cultivating refuge for Cope pods which helps maintain your aquariums PH. Octopus Eco is the perfect symbiotic component of your reef system.

Cultivation of Live Food

Products in the Eco range provide ideal conditions for the cultivation of live food sources such as Cope pods & Amphipods to feed the inhabitants of your display tank, thus giving your livestock a healthy diet.

Flexible
    Eco is designed to match universal fluorescent tube sizes, meaning there is usually a product in the Eco range to accommodate your choice of lighting.

Less Water Changes
    Once the eco has matured, you will notice the need for less frequent water changes, giving you more time to enjoy your aquarium.

PH Maintenance
    If used on a reverse light cycle, the Eco can assist in minimizing the PH fluctuations that would otherwise occur in a system running on a normal day/night lighting cycle, reducing stress on your livestock.

Macroalgea
    Macroalgea comes in various breeds of marine plant life and is available from your local fish store. With the addition of basic lighting to the Eco fuge, Macroalgea will grow and photo synthesise waste.

Engineered for the Professional Reefer
    These products are constructed with performance tested Cell Cast Acrylic, SCH-80 dark grey PVC, JG fittings and silicon O-rings. These materials will not color fade, are crack resistant, inert and non-corrosive, giving you the dependability you need and the performance your reef deserves.

Reef Specialty

2. Click Here!

3. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

This looks like it would be perfect for my broodstock tank - thanks Matt!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

that is really cool... since it's a HOB design, it's too bad they didn't make the back out of black acrylic, so you could truly get the benefit of reverse cycle lighting... or at least as an option.

Also, it looks like the pump pulls from the display tank and the overflow goes back to the display tank. That's a lot better for pod cultivation than expecting pods to survive the pumps impeller.

6. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

Does anyone know the distance between the inlet and outlet pumps and how big the pump is?

7. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

so....say I bought one:

what would you recommend i put in something like that for maximum benefits? sand with mangroves and a wad of chaeto? maybe a small fish or invert?

based on the idea that your 'fuge should be somewhat of a "swamp" (if i am understanding that concept correctly) then you would potentially expect to have some algae etc in this HOB unit?

just making sure I understand how a dedicated HOB one like this would work the best as far as a practical application goes.

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

It really depends on your tank's needs, I suppose.

Three or four possible scenarios:

1. Nitrate/ Phosphate reduction: Grow some cheato and maybe mangroves, and trim back as necessary to remove nutrients. This could also be a copepod factory.

2. Grow Macro Algae to feed tangs: Gracilaria is great tang food. Grow some here and add to tank as a healthy 'snack'.

3. Culture Pods for a mandarin: add some small rubble pieces and large diameter crushed coral/ aragonite for a pod factory to feed a mandarin or other fish.

4. All of the above!

10. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

For about $120 shipped including the pump and light I have basically the same thing.
    Heres a link to the website: AQUATICLIFESUPPORT.COM
    And heres a pic of mine (it's the 5.1 gallon unit):
    [​IMG]