New Tunze Turbelle e-jets now arriving in the USA

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The new Tunze Turbelle e-jets are an exciting new item being carried by 3reef Sponsor Reef Specialty. These high-performance centrifugal pumps are a direct replacement for the old Turbelle pumps and will work with the same electronics without modification. The e-jets feature an electronic starting system, adjustable voltage and magnet mounts with vibration dampening c-clips that allow for 3-D pump placement and directional flow control.

[​IMG]
    The New Controllable Tunze Turbelle e-jet 5005

The non-controllable e-jets being are low voltage and kick out flow from 224 to 805 GPH, however of interest to this 3reefer is the controllable e-jet 5005.

The e-jet 5005 will pump up to 1109 GPH at 24 volts and features a new microprocessor-controlled motor.

"The electronic motor adapts its speed automatically to the pump load and always seeks the best efficiency at the lowest possible consumption of energy. This energy consumption is about fifty per cent lower than in conventional pump motors.

The pump will be stopped immediately in case of blockage. After the blockage has been removed, the pump will start up automatically after a delay of 20 seconds.

Turbelle® e-jet 5005 has been provided with a fish care function, which causes a revolution of the screw every twenty seconds.

This pump can be controlled by Multicontroller 7094, 7095 and 7096 as well as by Singlecontroller 7091; and is supplied with a power supply unit."

[​IMG]
    The Tunze e-jet 5005 will work with all Tunze controllers including the 7095

[​IMG]
    The Tunze e-jet mounts feature dampening that reduces pump noise

Tunze Turbelles are high quality, low noise pumps. This 3reefer has an old Tunze Turbelle 7240/2 pump with a 7091 controller still in service. It seriously cranks and is very quiet and easy to clean. These pumps are not cheap, but you get a very high quality piece of equipment that is reliable. They will even alert you if they jam. Prop pumps are popular now with great flow, but the Tunze Turbelles may have an upper hand in directional control allowing you to break the surface of the water for better oxygen exchange. But then again, I love my Turbelle and may be a little biased. :)

Reef Speciality Tunze e-jet page:
    Reef Specialty

Official Tunze Turbelle e-jet page with more pics, prices and info:
    Code:
    http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter012
    ^^ crazy URL - copy and paste to get there

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

woah maybe if i win the lottery i can get one !! :D

i guess the real expensive part is the controller but IMO they arent to aesthetically pleasing. anyone agree?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I do as shown. However, you should know that that pump is shown with the long strainer. It actually comes with much shorter ones. My turbelle did. So the overall footprint would be smaller and more pleasing to the eye.

The pump is so strong though that I put a sponge on mine. I lost a fish with just the strainer once.

1 person likes this.
  5. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

yeah that strainer is funny lookin... are there more flow options for the output like a fan attachment or is it just the direction you can control?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Fan like a prop? Nah for that you would need to get a Tunze Stream pump. The Turbelles are a more traditional but high-end affair.

That said, there is an interesting option to add a couple parts to the 5005 to make it a high-pressure pump for skimmers and such... but that is a bit different deal.

7. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

How is the random flow on this? To me it looks like it would offer flow like a regualr unmodded mj, but i could be wrong. Any insight on that matt, thanks in advance!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The non-controllable Turbelle e-jets would be like traditional powerheads as far as flow is concerned.

The controllable e-jet 5005 shown would do some crazy random flow with a Tunze controller.

My Turbelle with a 7091 controller allows me to set the strength of two different pulses from the pump and a time duration between the pulses. The transition between the pulses is absolutely fluid and gradual - no clicking on/off of powerheads here.

The 7095 controller shown would allow you to hook up to 4 different Turbelle e-jet 5005 pumps which I imagine would allow for complete flow mayhem in your tank. :)

Here is a pic of my tank from over the weekend with my Turbelle and controller going ... note the waterline and sand:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  10. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

11. Saltynub

Saltynub Spaghetti Worm

lol or some type of training orb.

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I'm surprised Tunze doesn't try to make something aesthetically pleasing for a change. I'm sure it's a fine pump (I love the hydrofoamer on my skimmer), but at least try to compete with the Vortech pumps in regards to in-tank appearance to avoid dangling cords, etc. If they use a separate controller, the cost for the powerhead isn't that much.