AquaticLife 3W LED Up Close

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The pre-release photos of the AquaticLife 3W LED fixture were very stark and I got the wrong impression. It looked cheap to me - plastic even. I was wrong, really wrong. Getting up close to one recently I immediately noticed the finish - anodized aluminum with cool blue trim and inset screws. Couple that with a bevy of 3W CREE XPE and XPG LEDS and the Aquatic 3W LED is a serious light. But I still didn't know how serious until I recognized a name inside on the controller and software - TIAOJIOU. Then I knew AquaticLife is playing for keeps. More below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIAOJIOU is a way ahead of the curve LED company in Taiwan. I stumbled on one of their LED lights 3 years ago. What the TIAOJIOU lacked in LEDs back then, it nearly made up for it with their proprietary software. You could control everything in a million different ways all day long and it had lunar, cloud and storm presets.

[​IMG]

The AquaticLife 3W LED Expert Series fixtures incorporate the controller hardware from the TIAOJIOU and have evolved the software even further. For the geeks that can't get enough control of their LEDs, you can lose yourself for months in this software. I stood through an introduction demo recently - and it took 15 minutes. After a while I wasn't sure if I was more impressed with the software or the rep giving the demo. He had an ability to break-down the million ways to program this fixture that made it seem intuitive. I later found out I was speaking to co-owner Dave Trove. He is not a detached owner. Obviously bright with a technical background, Dave is proud of the AquaticLife 3W LED light and it shows in the product.

What follows is a brief overview of AquaticLife's incredible software. There is no way I can cover all it without hitting the character limit so download the manual if you want more.

[​IMG]

AUTO DASHBOARD

The Auto Dashboard allows you to create daily light cycles, which are comprised of Traces. A “Trace” is the intensity of each color of LED over a 24 hour period. Lunar Light, Cloud Cover and Thunder Storms are
    not included in your Traces. These lighting options are managed on the Functions Dashboard.

Just stare at that screenshot. There is a lot going on. Not only can you the percentage of power going through any type of LED at any time of the day with buttons and slides, you can 'trace' that along the 24 hour light cycle with the mouse. Furthermore you can copy part or all of your traces to paste elsewhere. When you are done tracing, the software will even tell you how much power your trace will consume a day and watts per hour.

[​IMG]

COLOR DASHBOARD

The Color Dashboard allows you to create 18 different preset color combinations and intensities of light that can be loaded into the Light Fixture and controlled by the handheld Remote. Use these colors when
    you want to view the aquarium under light that does not change according to the clock in the fixture.

The color dashboard is extreme. Say goodbye to your best friend, maybe you will see him next week. As you can tell from the screenshot, with the color dashboard you can control each color channel separately at any given time.

[​IMG]

FUNCTIONS DASHBOARD

The Functions Dashboard is where you control the Lunar Cycle, Cloud Settings and Storm Settings. The programmed Lunar Cycle, Cloud and Storm and activated using the handheld remote control when the fixture is operating in Auto Mode 1, 2 or 3.

This is the oh and ah gee-whiz stuff to impress your friends. The Aquatic Life 3W LED has it in spades.

DOWNLOAD MORE TRACE PROFILES FROM AQUATICLIFE SITE

If you are daunted by all the programming and want more presets, you can download shallow, medium and deep profiles from their site for free. You can also get software updates as well.

HIGHLIGHTS

• High Output American-made Cree LED’s produce a spectrum of light designed for growing coral
    • Easily adjust light to adapt to changing tank environment by programming up to three independent 24 hour light cycles
    • Up to 18 programmable color combinations are available to enhance and highlight colors of fish and corals
    • Independently control all four colored LED’s to tailor lighting to specific needs of tank inhabitants
    • Included remote easily controls multiple light cycle programs and lighting effects
    • Large LED mounting area distributes light throughout the entire aquarium
    • Included suspension hardware makes setup and installation easy without needing to purchase additional parts
    • Built-in durable components with passive cooling allows for quiet operation
    • Interchangeable 80° and 100° lenses can focus light intensity for deep water applications
    • Cloud cover and lightning storm programs simulate environments that fish and corals are exposed to in nature
    • Connect direct to your computer with the included USB cable to setup and custom program the fixture
    • Downloadable software is available from the web for complete light cycle and color combination programming
    • Blue side accent panels provide a stylish fixture look during operation
    • Front panel indicator vividly displays current operating lighting program
    • Modular components with quick disconnects simplify fixture upgrades and part replacement
    • Automatic multi-input power supply is compatible with both 110v and 220v outlets
    • cULus approved power supply meets the highest quality standards

COMPONENTS:
    • LED Fixture w/LED Lenses
    • Handheld Remote Control
    • Suspension Hardware
    • USB Cable
    • Multi-voltage Power Supply

AVAILABLE SIZES:
    • 420278 Light 14IN 3W X 24 LED, 78W WHT BLU RBLU RED
    • 420279 Light 34IN 3W X 48 LED, 156W WHT BLU RBLU RED
    • 420280 Light 46IN 3W X 72 LED, 234W WHT BLU RBLU RED

AquaticLife 14" LED Expert Series Fixture Specs:
    • 8 White CREE XPG
    • 8 Blue CREE XPE
    • 6 Royal Blue XPE
    • 2 Red XPE
    • individual 80 and 100 degree lenses (60 degree optional)
    • programmable remote control
    • 14.625" x 12.125" x 2.125"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are in the market for a serious LED light out of the box the AquaticLife 3W Marine light could just be it. The hardwire and software combination of this fixture is impressive. The only thing I find missing is MAC support which they are working on. It might be worth finding an old PC to run this light in the meantime. It's intense.

Available now.
    Aquatic Life

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Very nice writeup Matt, this light might be a Radion "Killer" when released.

It definitely grabbed my attention.

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

It could put a good dent if it was cheaper, however, it may not be...
    Time will tell!

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very interesting system. I would think it will be a little on the pricey side with the awesome programming included.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

THank you!

The light is already out. 14" is $729 at MD. I think there are a few 3reef sponsors that have it.

1 person likes this.
  7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Yeah, it is priced to directly compete with the Radion. I like the larger versions options. Depending on price, might be something to look at in the future.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I liked the look of the larger versions also.

10. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Nice write up. Thanks, Matt.

11. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Have you found a site that carries the larger versions?

12. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

i can only find the 14" fixture on-line, are the larger models available to the open market yet?